Friday, August 29, 2014

Quilty Crime....Flanges!!

Quilty Crime Friday!!

Flanges!

These post as previously mentioned are intended to teach.  To show quilters the quilt from the perspective of this machine quilter.  I hope you are enjoying and learning from the content and photos that I am sharing. 
Some of my local gals tell me they are happy when they don't recognize the fabrics in the photos.  LOL!!!  Thanks gals, good to know that you are reading these.
No quilt was seriously damaged (so far) from any of the post previously posted.  On with the show!!
FLANGES!!!
I, as a  machine quilter for a while would just cringe when one would come my way.  "NOT ANOTHER ONE!!"  They, flanges are a royal pain and here's some photos to show you why.
Yep, when I see this it's never a good thing.  The machine is clunk, clunk, clunk and I'm racing to hit that stop button.

 it's never a good thing.....


See the thread on the black?  The hopping foot is caught and the machine is not moving even when it's trying too.  Stop that machine quick!!


Lots of tiny little stitches inside that hopping foot requires quilt surgery.  Not good for me or the quilt.  Pressure is on for me to remove those stitches and not tear or cut the fabric.  
 

 Now for the way I love to get those flanges on quilts.


This quilt has not just a border flange but flanges also inside on the sashing!  A total of SIX flanges for my machine to quilt over.  As  you can see in the photos  a simple basting stitch will hold the flange down as the machine is stitching.
 



Perfect passing makes me a happy quilter!
 

Double check the second photo up, you can see the flange just tipping over.  The machine actually stitched on one side of the flange, it flipped back flat and we got a great stitch and a flat flange.
  

SCORE!!!

Quilt is done and all flanges are flat, perfectly stitched over!

 That's it for today,
thanks for checking on me,
hugs,

joanne

love to hear what you've got to say...........









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take the basting stitches out or leave them in once quilted?

Anonymous said...

I just used this technique on a quilt... I used a bright color tread for the basting along with a neutral color bobbin and tacted all the flanges down... after using an edge to edge pantograph I simple took out the basting stitches. I made sure all the bright thread was gone, however didn't worry about the "strings" left in the quilt. Worked perfect!!