Friday, May 23, 2014

Quilty Crime Friday!!

It's still Friday, late but it's still Friday!!  

Welcome back to Quilty Crime Friday, I just finished this quilt today and knew it was going to be a fantastic follow up to last weeks post.  I'm still on the "WHAT!?!?!?!?!   You really NEED 4" of fabric??  The previous post should have explained why for the top and the bottom, today's post will show you why side to side. 





Here's the right side of the quilt that I was working on today.  The top was 51ish" x 64ish"  and the backing was measured out at 52" x 84".  When I took the quilt in I knew that I was going to have to add fabric to the backing to bring it up to size so I could comfortably work with it.  Can I work with it the way it is....well, yes, but....there are a few risk involved for me as a machine quilter.  

I "float" all of the quilts I receive, some quilters do, so don't, some just depends on the quilt.  When I load a quilt I mark each side with painters tape and as I advance the top I keep the sides at that exact mark or as close as I can get to it.  Yep, that will be a Quilty Crime in weeks to come.  




Photo says right side, but it's actually the LEFT, I didn't want to go back and change it since I'm running so late with the post.  But you can see from both photo's the painters tape marking the spot on my tape of the quilt edge.


When I lift the batting you can see on this quilt/backing I have a little more than one inch to work with.  This is the right side---ugh, sorry about that photo
 being mismarked.




Left side of quilt....guess I should have put stickers on my hands while I was doing this...but you get the idea.  Again, very, very little to work with here.


 As you can see from the next set of photos I am holding the batting and the backing to keep it in place as the hopping foot races across the top.  When the hopping foot hits a seam it can drag just a little and pull the top in the direction the machine is stitching.  With the additional 4" that you give your longarm quilter she uses them to hold the backing in place so the hopping foot does not drag you top.





Once the machine gets to a certain point on the quilt I can let go.  I had to really babysit this one to make sure all was where it should be.



Here's the right side of the quilt and you can see the overstitching that I do when doing edge to edge designs.  I also run the risk of the hopping foot getting caught up in the batting and the extra fabric helps stabilize that too.




Yep, that's a close one.....


End of quilt, again you can see the overstitching that is done to even out 
the design on the quilt.


Not much at all to work with....on either side.....


(and that is the left side...jeeze!!)


Next quilt already running as I'm typing and PLENTY of extra on the sides.  See the little clamps, they are doing their job so I don't have to worry as much about all of the other stuff when I don't have enough backing.


Hope you are enjoying the Quilty Crimes Fridays.  I've heard from a couple of gals about the post.  My intentions are to teach.  I would like you to understand what I see and how it could be done differently or better.  Spending all of the time and money on your quilt, I want it to be the best it can be.  Let's all learn together.....now, I'm off for a refresher on the left and right.....lol!!!

thanks for checking on me,
 hugs,

joanne

love to hear what you've got to say......

4 comments:

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Your teaching is great!!! I so understand what you are saying and it helps me to plan for my fabric when I'm sending my quilt off to be quilted. Thank You!!!

Smiles,
Kelly

KathyinMN said...

This is a very interesting series, please keep 'em coming!

Carol J said...

Thank you for sharing your insights. I don't have a long arm (yet) and do most of my own quilting. But for the odd one that does get sent out, it's nice to be able to take as must of the 'grief' out of the process as possible :)

Dana said...

I'm thinking at some I'm I must have done this... thanks Joanne!