Friday, June 6, 2014

Quilty Crime Friday!! Tension - Check it!!

Time for Quilty Crimes Friday again!

This week I'm focusing on tension!!  And I'm not talking about the kind you get from the family...can't help you with that one!  But we can take a look at a couple of quilts that have come past my machine, so you will know NOT to do this!!  And if it's happening while you are stitching - STOP!!  Stitching!!!  Here we go....

Tension, it IS important!

Here's the backside of the top.  Thread is very loose and not laying flat and even on the fabric.
 

This is a tangled mess. A clear indication that there IS a problem.  And if you notice on the blue more of the "loopies".
 

Here's what it looks like on the front side of the top.  Those seams are not nice and tight.  Machine quilting is what will be holding this quilt together.
 

Again, the "loopies" do not hold your fabric nice and tight.  You should not be able to see your threads like in this photo.
 

Unfortunately the entire quilt was like this.
 

It doesn't happen often, but it should never happen.  Here's another one...


This row of stitching above isn't toooo bad, but it's still not good.

Below, you can see the very, very big "loopies".
 

Again on the front side of the top, you can see something 
ain't quite right.


Once those loopies get so big, you start getting into stitching that looks a lot like this .........
 

Now that I've shown you what not to do, and how it's NOT suppose to look, I'm sure you are wondering if I've got some answers to fix the problem.  

As a matter of fact, I do.   I found this great information by just googling (not sure how I lived before google) "how do I fix the tension on my sewing machine".  I've read over the article and there is a lot of great information and not too detailed or too simple.  Here's the link.....
 

Take the time, figure it out, it's worth it.

That's it for today..next week I've got to get back to posting all of the great quilts I've been working with.  I've seen some real beauties, so stay tuned and come back soon!

thanks for checking on me,
hugs,

joanne

love to hear what you've got to say...............
 

1 comment:

Michele T said...

Thanks for the link!!! I am heading over there to check it out and get my head wrapped around this tension in my sewing life!!!