Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Shhhhhh....I have a secret..

Actually, I have two secrets.  The first one may or may not surprise you, quilting is not my passion.  Now don't get me wrong I love quilting and all things quilting related, but I really, really love to cook.  I think I'm pretty good at it, well at least my family thinks so.  THAT is what leads me to the second secret.  Take a look at this....


It's blueberry bread pudding!  Boy-o-boy is it ever good!!  This is what my breakfast was just before I sat down to write this post.....go ahead, click on it,  you know you want a closer look.....


It's also this that leads me to the other secret, are you ready for this?  Almond extract, yep, that's right, almond extract.  If you don't have those nut allergies to deal with substitute almond extract in all of those blueberry recipes.  Muffins, bread pudding and PANCAKES!!!!  Putting that almond extract in your pancake batter in place of the vanilla will make you a hero, trust me on this one!  Just do it, and let me know how famous you become to the family.

On to other things.  No quilt pictures yet, I've got a monster living in my computer, it's called "picture file".  Dragging my feet on dealing with it.  I've done a pretty good job keeping things in order since we've been in New Hampshire but now I've got to get them off of the passport and onto the hard drive of the new computer.  And I've probably got, wait let me check..............................(your waiting)........
7 new files that I have to go through and sort and name.  I've been busy, really, really, busy.  If you follow Terry she just posted 3 that I just sent back to her.  I've probably got somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ quilts to post pictures of that I have done this month.  AND that doesn't take into consideration the ones that I've had done and not posted, probably another 10 or so!  Hey, I quilted a quilt for a famous blogger, really, Kelly over at I Have A Notion.  Hop on over, she's just made the cutest new bag, one of the Lazy Girl designs.

Remember that cute little Hummingbird?  Well, he's not so cute after all.  He's a huge, super huge little booger!!  He sits on top of the hook and won't let the other birds drink from the feeder.  He dive bombs and flutters and swaks and throws all kinds of fits until they go away.  He's not a very nice little hummingbird. The first picture is a close up and the second if you look on the top of the hook you can see him, again...



I had two feeders out there and he wouldn't let any other little bird near either one of them so I moved one!  How not funny is that?!?!!?!

Went with the hubs on a road trip Sunday over to New York.  Got a few shots of things in Vermont thought I'd share them with you.  If you've never been to Vermont or plan on going to Vermont here's a few pictures of what Vermont looks like. 

Vermont has tons and tons of mountains that look like giant green gum drops to me....



Just about every little town has a general store of some sort....


Lots of very, very cool old houses....



And farms....tons and tons of them.....


Vermont also has an incredible number of covered bridges.  Here's a shot of one that was damaged by Irene.  The bridge was used up until the storm damage.



Next two pictures were taken as we were driving and if you click on them you can see the damage left behind by the storm.  In many, many place we could see where the road had been replaced since it had been washed away by the flood waters. 



Well I think that's it for today.  I need to get myself up from the chair and get upstairs to the machine.  I've got plenty to do and more on the way. 

thanks for checking on me,
have a super wonderful week,
hugs,
joanne

love to hear what you've got to say.....................

10 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Your blueberry bread pudding looks yummy. I like to cook too, but I'm not a very good cook. Actually my hubby is a better cook then I am ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have never had bread pudding! Looks delish!

Joan Stanley said...

Hummers are very territorial. Moving your feeder was the thing to do.

I have a blueberry muffin recipe that you can keep in the refrige for a few weeks.............take out, scoop and bake for fresh morning ones when you want them. Also, a wonderful blueberry cake that does well in the bundt or 9 X 13. Basically it is a pound cake with blue berries..........add some lemon for extra goodness!

lisa said...

I will have to try almond extract, but I make my own vanilla extract, and that is mighty yummy too! I like to bake. Not cook. But I am not great at either. I do well enough for the three of us. Mr Crock Pot is my best friend though. He does most the hard work for me. If only he did the dishes, or were self cleaning too.

Susan Entwistle said...

My husband will be over for the blueberry bread pudding tomorrow morning :)

SewCalGal said...

after I burnt dinner tonight (convection oven) I'm not sure you'll believe me if I share that I too enjoy cooking. But DH is much better than I am. Still, I think I'm best at baking. And, I definitely love bread pudding. But, I've never tasted blueberry bread pudding. sounds yummy.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I will take mine with a little bacon on the side and a cup of coffee!

Terry said...

Looks like you had a great trip! Our hummingbirds do the same thing! They're cheeky little buggers! LOL I hope to get the binding on the second quilt today! :0)

Allie said...

Well...wish we lived next door...I HATE to cook, lol! Your pics from Vermont are awesome. I'll have to add it to my someday list.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Ohhhh that looks so yummy...I'd be like the humming bird and wouldn't let anyone else near it!!!

Wish I could help with the pix....I'm not even going to talk about how many photos I have and have not labeled..yikes!

Smiles,
Kelly
PS...I'm not famous