Monday, July 16, 2012

Boxes-Why they are important

Unfortunately I am now charging for boxes.  I hope the following post will
help explain why.
This is a box received from a quilter, no kidding!! 

My first picture is of a box that I received containing two quilts.  See how the box is completely ripped open and you can see the bags the quilts were in?  The box is actually upside down.  The lighter color tape is the top of the box and the reinforced tape (that is ripped and just hanging on by a thread) is the bottom of the box. Can you say "not good?".


When I lift the edge you can see how the tape is just barely holding the box together.  If this box had broken the two strings the quilts would have been laying out somewhere between here and Timbuktu.


When I applied pressure to this edge of the box you can see the blue handles from the plastic bag, again, NOT GOOD!! These packages are put through the wringer and you need to make sure your boxes are going to withstand the torture they endure to their destination.


Here's another view.  You can just imagine this poor little box being on the bottom of 15 other boxes and the quilts inside are now exposed to the elements and unknown antics of the journey. 



If you send me your top(s) and do not ship them in a sturdy box, I will return them to you in a new box.  After all of the money and time that goes into these wonderful works of love, they need all of the protection they can get.

That's it for today.
Thanks for checking on me,
Have a wonderful day!
hugs,
joanne

love to hear what you've got to say.............................

7 comments:

Terry said...

I'm glad that's not my box! I normally tape the crap outta them! LOL

luv2quilt2 said...

The boxes and the (mis)handling they will get is always a worry. Mine will also be taped to death! And I certainly don't mind the charge for a box.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh that is just scary! :-o

~Laurie~ said...

Glad it wasn't mine too! Too bad you had to say it, but it had to be said! These quilts are too precious to take any chances with :)

Allie said...

I'm appalled - that's just nuts, lol! There is too much work that goes into quilts to send them off like that!

Rhonda said...

Oh my Joanne. When I read this post I immediately thought of that old Samsonite commercial where the gorilla was tossing the luggage around. Not good. Thanks for the eye opener!!

Clara said...

Lucky girl! They could have been stolen or lost!